It is said that the best of medicines come with a bitter taste, unarguably, bitter kola is one of them.
Bitter kola is a flowering plant found mostly in the tropical rain forest region of Central and West Africa.
According to research, every part such as the seeds, stem, and leaves has medicinal value.
The bitter plant, which is believed to contain a high source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, fiber, calcium, potassium, and iron, also carries other antioxidants.
Incredible health benefits of bitter kola:
- Improves the function of the lungs: It helps in the maintenance of a good respiratory tract as well as treating chest cold. Also, the fibers and lung tissues are not only strengthened when bitter kola is consumed regularly in a considerate amount, but it also stabilizes any other counter effect.
- It improves sexual performance: Subsequently, research shows that Bitter kola helps to improve the sexual performance of men. And in other to be effective, it is advisable to chew the kola for at least two minutes before intercourse.
- It improves the immunity system: Bitter kola has a high amount of antioxidants. This high amount of antioxidants found in bitter kola does not only help fight bacteria and other illnesses, it also helps the body to increase its immunity levels. And when the immunity level of the body is increased, it becomes strong enough to fight against any foreign contaminant.
READ ALSO: Coronavirus in Africa[over 430,000 cases]
- It fights Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a condition of increased pressure within the eyeball, causing a gradual loss of sight. It however could result in permanent blindness if left untreated.
However, bitter kola has been found to be an amazing remedy for the eye.
- It serves as an anti-malaria agent: Subsequently, research shows that chemical constituents in bitter kola have anti-malarial properties. This is why traditional healers have for many years prescribed bitter kola for the treatment of malaria infections. Additionally, the stem, bark, and seeds of bitter kola are used to treat acute fever, inflammation of the respiratory tract, and throat infections.